How to Choose a Trustworthy Small Business Payroll Provider
Small and independent payroll providers offer many benefits over the big nationwide payroll companies, giving small businesses better service for a better value. Once you’ve decide to go with a small, local payroll provider, how do you know they’re trustworthy? Take a look at our list of tips to make sure that you’re dealing with someone who’s responsible and reliable.
- How much experience does the Independent Payroll Provider have?
The amount of experience any given professional has goes a long way towards their level of expertise. Ideally, you want to choose someone who has been in business as an independent payroll provider for at least five full years.
- Can the Independent Payroll Provider provide adequate references?
An independent payroll provider needs to be reputable. Make sure they can provide you with at least 15-20 local small business references. Follow up with these references with questions like:
- How long have you worked with the payroll provider?
- What has the overall relationship been like?
- Are you happy with the value you’ve received?
- Have there ever been any issues with payroll processing?
- Have there ever been any issues with payroll tax compliance?
- Does Independent Payroll Provider offer a guarantee?
You want to choose an independent payroll provider that stands behind their work. Make sure that they guarantee they will take responsibility for fully managing your payroll taxes, and will pay the tax fines and interest on any tax penalties caused due to an error on their part.